“Skinny” Superbowl Snacks
Superbowl Sunday doesn’t have to increase the size of your waistline. Substitute some of your family’s favorite Sunday dishes for these healthier alternatives.
1) Where’s the Beef? Substitute lean ground turkey for ground beef in your chili recipe. Your super-fans will barely notice the flavor difference, and you’ll cut the fat in half.
2) Dip well, dip often. Forgo the sour cream based dips and chips for hearty vegetable based dips like hummus and white bean and roasted red peppers. If you must go for the creamy stuff, make your own and substitute non-fat Greek yogurt for sour cream. Instead of chips, try crunchy sesame crackers or pretzels.
3) Stuff it. Prepare pesto stuffed mushrooms ahead of time and pop in the oven as needed through the third quarter.
4) Stick it to me. Instead of fried buffalo wings, try skewering chicken thighs (cut into chunks) and grilling the kabobs until done. Dip in spicy peanut sauce for a mouthwatering half-time snack.
5) Get cheesy. Forgo the pizza and instead try bruschetta. Pile the fresh tomato and basil atop low-fat mozzarella and a crunchy grilled bread.
6) Wrap it up. Instead of bacon wrapped scallops, try wrapping grilled asparagus in prosciutto. You’ll get that buttery flavor with half the calories and a nice subtle crunch.
Tips are provided by Kate Brown, certified fitness trainer and community director at DailyBurn.com.